God is our shelter and strength, always ready to help in time of trouble.
Ps 46:1 

About Us

Trinity Church 1884Trinity Methodist Church on Northenden Road first opened for worship in 1875 when the congregation from the Broad Lane Chapel, built 1820, moved into its new premises.

In 1884 a Sunday school building was added to the rear but thereafter the premises remained unchanged until the 1960’s when the Sunday school building was demolished and replaced by a large extension. This could be accessed directly from the chapel building and contained a large hall with stage, improved catering facilities and a number of smaller meeting rooms. The accommodation was arranged over three levels.

 

1967 ExtensionThe property was modified again in 1980 after the main church building was sold and the rear accommodation adapted for multipurpose usage, the church frontage now being in Trinity Road and there were two main access routes to the premises, each having a separate cramped entrance lobby. In the ensuing years the premises have become a valued community resource, a claim supported by the fact that the building is in near continuous occupancy throughout the week.

In order to make the building more accessible to a wider range of people it has recently undergone further renovation. The latest project was completed in March 2006 and has been very successful.

 

2006 Entrance1980 EntranceBy creating a new single entrance that can be accessed via a ramp or steps, it has been possible to make a spacious reception area that can accommodate a disabled toilet and wheel chair lift with ease.




 

Official OpeningOne of the old lobbies has become a new vestry and an office thereby releasing space elsewhere. The utilitarian look of the exterior that was a legacy of the 60’s has been softened by the addition of some cosmetic touches that give the property a more unified appearance.

The renovations were officially ‘opened’ on May 13th 2006 with a short ceremony wherein the key to the new front door was passed from our oldest serving member to the youngest, thus symbolising the continuity of worship on our site.


 

Further improvements were made during the summer of 2007 when the stage area was refurbished. It is now viable as an independent meeting room, an overflow seating area for worship or as an extension to the coffee lounge when required. This flexibility of use enhances the multipurpose characteristics of the building.